- 200 / 1 gms cups ghee (clarified butter)
- 160 / 1 gms cups sugar powdered
- 240 / 2 gms cups all purpose flour
- 120 / 1 gms cups chickpea flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 to Tbs milk
- 2 Tbs pistachios , crushed (for garnish)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, cream the ghee sugar until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, chickpea flour salt. Whisk in the powdered cardamom.
- In 2 to 3 batches, add the flour mixture to the creamed sugar ghee. Incorporate well after each addition use your hand if you need to. Don’t knead the mixture.
- Add the milk in increments of ½ tablespoon, i.e. only half-tablespoon at a time, until to dough is moistened enough for you to roll it into a round bite-sized pieces without it crumbling or developing cracks. (see post). The remaining dough can be left at room temperature, covered with cling film.
- Place the shaped nankhatai on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. At the half-way mark, i.e. after 10 minutes, rotate the tray, front to back continue to bake for the remaining 10 minutes.. Once done, allow the nankhatai to cool in the tray for 5 minutes (they will firm –up as they cool) then place on a wire rack until completely cooled.